Tuesday, October 13, 2015

A Heart Revealed Book One

So how is everyone enjoying the book? I am about ready to strangle Amber Sterlington, and have completely lost my heart to Thomas...

I know it's common with the times to marry for advantage; money, connections etc. However seeing how selfish and mean Amber is about it, is quite difficult for me. I just can't imagine being so heartless in a matter so intimate. When we first learn of her slight hair loss and listening to her rudeness to her maid is beyond me. I truly can't imagine the heart it takes to talk so cruelly to another human being even if you have see it since birth.  That being said I am sure it was not uncommon. At this point in the story she is reminding me of another character from Jennifer Moore, Regina Foster (you meet her in Becoming Lady Lockwood, and hear of her again in Miss Burton Unmasks a Prince) anyway, she was so unkind and fake that she had multiple seasons, and had yet to make a match. This is what I would expect from Amber, that men would see though her looks and realize no one would want to put up with that for a lifetime, no matter how pretty.
That is one of the reasons why I enjoyed so much the scene where she is playing cards and Thomas sees that she must be purposefully playing poorly. And he makes the observation "...she was making a different kind of fool of these men..." I thought, oh good, he can move on now that he sees how ridiculous she is.  I was enjoying more and more Thomas' kindness and thoughtfulness. How he didn't want to be caught staring at Amber because he didn't want the other girl to feel small. He seems to go out of his way to make people comfortable and to be kind when Amber is the complete opposite.

When she attends the ball I felt she received her just desserts. I did feel a pang of pity and compassion but she was intolerable, and to her own sister!

Here is where I finally actually start to feel a bit of remorse for her, her parents seem to regard their children very much like one would any possession that had value but only while it can do exactly as you expect. Should your carriage breakdown, take it to be repaired and in the mean time use another. If it cannot be repaired it is no matter, we have another. You finally see where she gets her callousness from.

My overall opinion so far is that I am not really enjoying the book. I've read a hundred and thirty pages learning to hate the main character. While I'm all for your characters having flaws they need to overcome, and situations to grow from this is a bit much for me, I haven't had anything good to start liking the main character other than the fact that Thomas (a completely loved character) likes her for some bazaar reason. I would at this point much rather read this story from Darra's point of view. That being said the book is written well (flow and information relating to the time period etc.)  So I am holding out hope that I will begin to like Amber, (right now I only hold hope for her for Thomas) She definitely has been thrust into a situation where improving herself will become necessary if she is to have any quality of life. Holding hope for the second half!

Tell me what you've thought through the first half!

And as always...
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment