Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Miss Burton Unmasks a Prince (part 2)

This is the part where I'm dying to tell you all my favorite lines and aspects of the book. But alas, I only bring a few food for thought questions as you continue reading...

I really want you to remember how old these characters are. This is not our current times when it's normal to get married at 25 years of age and up. How do you think the age/maturity of these characters either hinders or enhances their ability to learn and grow from their circumstances?
This is something for me as a reader I think about frequently, (especially as I get older and hopefully wiser.) I on occasion will be upset with a character because "Why are they doing something so stupid!!" And I might not feel that is truly their character to do such a thing, and then I remember "oh yeah, she/he is only __ years old! Of course we're all not the brightest at that age!" That's when we have a lot of opportunities to not only discover our character but to mold it or really create our own demise.

I wonder how much we all know about European history at this time? How much do we ever study the Napoleanic Wars beyond watching a movie or a documentary? I'm going to do something a little different this time and I want to challenge anyone who reads this to learn a little but about this time period, and in the comments, please tell me something you learned! I would love to hear about it, because I truly believe that it enhances our reading i.e understanding our characters better, when we know the history of the time period. PLEASE SHARE WHAT YOU LEARN! As an incentive it will put you into this months drawing for our free book!

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

  1. I love how you talk about the age. As I'm reading I always think they are my age (30). But they aren't. I always forget how young these girls are when they go off to London for a season. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. Knowing their age helps to remind me how stupid or nieve(how do you spell that?) I was at that age. I always try to put myself in their shoes to better understand them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Regency period is so name because at that time (1811-1820) King George lll was unfit to rule and his son the Prince of Wales ruled as his proxy as "Prince Regent". In 1820, when King George lll died the Prince then became King George IV. The era actually is actually longer (1795-1837). This time is noted for its elegance and achievements in fine arts and architecture. I love this time period because women were ladies and men were gentlemen.

    ReplyDelete