Saturday, July 11, 2015

Review for Against the Tide by Elizabeth Camden

Let me start off by saying, I truly enjoyed this book.  Lately I've been having a hard time finding books that have a good plot line along with a love story. I want to see the characters overcoming real conflict. If you are a fan of that, then this book is for you.
Here is the description of the book (taken directly from Amazon)
"After a childhood rampant with uncertainty, Lydia Pallas has carved out a perfect life for herself. She spends her days within sight of the bustling Boston Harbor, where her skill with languages has landed her an enviable position as a translator for the U.S. Navy.

Lydia's talents bring her to the attention of Alexander Banebridge, a mysterious man in need of a translator. Driven by a campaign to end the opium trade, Bane is coolly analytical and relentless in his quest. He cannot afford to fall for Lydia and must fight the bittersweet love growing between them.

When Bane's enemies gain the upper hand, he is forced to turn to Lydia for help. Determined to prove her worth, Lydia soon discovers that carrying out Bane's mission will test her wits and her courage to the very limits."
I felt this description was fantastic, one of my big pet peeves is reading the back of the book, choosing to purchase it and then the story has very little to do with the back. (It is shocking how often this happens)
The characters have depth to them, which helps you to understand their choices and helps the book to flow well. Overall I would give this book five stars.






DON'T READ MORE IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE BOOK!!!








Okay, this is where I talk super casual and give away lots about the book, (that's why I encourage you to read with us) ANYWAY....
This book kept me turning pages, Elizabeth Camden's ability to tell a good story really came through here, starting at the beginning giving Lydia this beautiful childhood, (even if it is just to her.) She came from such a loving home where parents truly cared for each other. When she later talks about her father telling her stories of the stars it was lovely. 
Her job at the Navy Yard was interesting and played well with her childhood. Her co-workers were interesting and I loved that their personalities actually existed! I've read some books where they are there and they'll have a place in the story but you really don't know anything about them save for the fact that the character knows them. I liked that they reserved some ire for the Admiral when he fired her.
I honestly didn't know how I felt about Lydia and Bane going through garbage and desks together after hours, part of me was they are trying to do something good, the other just felt the acute invasion of privacy. So I took a little while and thought what would I do? What would I want someone else to do, and discovered I would probably do the same.
I felt it a bit of comic relief when Bane tried to get Lydia married off to the Admiral.  The fact that they fought so loudly about it and then Bane was so casual about the whole ordeal. Bane's character was just interesting, he had depth and faults. I enjoyed that even if a time or two I got annoyed with him.
Bane's story about finding faith and then doing good was not over done and showed an important part of himself. I felt it made it feel more real. That they (even though I'm talking about them like real people) had a real relationship, they shared things about their faith or lack of faith at times. It added another layer to these characters.
Seeing Lydia's courage when the Admiral son was taken and Bane's defense for her was one of those great moments in a book where you read the scene twice because Lydia showed such courage and tried so hard, but falls short of saving herself. And Bane coming to the rescue and carrying her to where she could be treated by a doctor and really saving her life was one of those hold your breath times. (I think I may have read a few too many books where one of the main characters comes to a bad end)  
I really loved that Lydia due to growing up for many years in an orphanage developed an addiction to opium. That really could have happened and she took it so well and to me it showed such depth of character to admit it and start trying to stop right away. (I'm also baffled that it was it a children's medication and that actually happened!) I felt like it was a great thing to put Lydia and Bane through to develop as a couple as well. Bane's comment of not being able to marry an addict I felt was blunt and completely his character.
Overall, I couldn't put this book down it was a true pleasure and I can't wait till I read another (and she has several others out) again.
Let me know how you liked it!
Happy Reading





1 comment:

  1. I also loved the depth to the characters. Loved all of Lydia's stories from her childhood. Made her so much more of a real person with real problems. Vary well written.

    ReplyDelete