Sunday, July 19, 2015

Review for After a Fashion by Jen Turano

To truly understand why I love Jen Turano I'm going to tell a story of my own. A couple of years ago our little family became ecstatic about a new little one joining our family. I had past the point of when you'd miscarry and somehow I knew I was going to get another little girl that I had been praying for. I did get her but she was so sick inside me, we knew she wouldn't make it to term and would never take a breath outside of me. I was on bed rest and reading a lot when I got my first Jen Turano book, A Talent for Trouble, I laughed out loud, a lot, (and I hadn't for a while!)  I was so delighted by the characters and the setting and everything! I became an instant fan and am always one of the first to purchase any of her books, as well as a copy for a friend who needs a good story that will leave you smiling. So without further ado here is my probably bais review...

I loved it! Haha One of the best things about this book is that it is exactly what I expect from Jen Turano. (I cannot lie here (I worry a bit that you'll all think I will never say a negative thing about a book, but I will only do that if I truly believe it) It is witty and funny with delightful characters! I feel like they stay true to themselves while they go through their self discovery. I felt Oliver's self discovery was genuine he started looking at people a bit differently but kept his business side right upfront where we expected to see it. The characters have depth but can still be light and funny at times. Harriet has a difficult past and needed to work through pain and embarrassment. 
Of course a few times I want to strangle a character or two which is part of the reason I like the them, they aren't perfect, they can be ridiculous, and exasperating, finding  love can be a difficult path. . 
The story line itself is different, the end twist was wonderful, and I'm trying not to give anything away, but I really felt proud of Harriet's choice. (Read the book you'll get what I mean, and if for some reason you don't let me know!) 
I would say I'm really looking forward to the second book as it is I've already read it and would reccomend it as well, so I'm really looking forward to the third book! 
If you are looking for a read to leave you with a smile on your face that's "just delightful" (that is the only way I can really describe her books) this is one for you. Happy Reading everyone and please let me know how your reading of this book went! 







*also as a side note, most of the books I review I have purchased because they look interesting, I'm not being paid and have this blog solely for the reason of my love for books, and wanting to share! Happy Reading!  



*for those of you wondering I did loose my darling Evelyn, and you're free to read her story here; Evelyn Grace

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book! Harriet is my kind of heroine and doesn't take sass!

    ReplyDelete